Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What to pack?

What am I packing for the hospital? Not much, to be honest. I had no idea what to pack when I prepared to give birth to Oliver. I mulled over suggested packing lists I found on the internet and the one included in the packet from our birth class. It felt wierd to pack for an event I had no experience with and despite my inclination to be ueber-prepared, I hate packing for anything, even the birth of my child.

The best advice I got ended up being from a dad, who recommended packing as if I were going away for the weekend, which meant I really just needed the necessities, especially if I was fine with the hospital-issued gowns and socks and such, which I was. Most of what I finally decided on I needed on a daily basis, so my carry-on suitcase sat nearly empty in my closet, except for a sticky note with my packing list jotted on it. So in the mad dash to pack in the time between when my water broke and I left for the hospital, I packed not much more than a change of clothes, my toiletry case, a hairdryer, earplugs, (hospitals are noisy - smartest thing I packed!) and a bunch of baby clothes in different sizes and combinations. The only item I had felt passionate about, and had put a lot of thought into, the birth plan, I forgot.

This second time around, my packing list is equally minimalist (that is, when I get around to making it). I remember the hospital pillows being really uncomfortable, so maybe I'll bring one of my own this time. And I think I might have forgotten some toiletries last time, and while you are provided with the basics, I discovered hospitals do not provide cute little bottles of Crabtree and Evelyn shampoos and bath gels like at hotels. And I've scrapped the idea of needing a birth plan.

Meanwhile, I've spent more time thinking about what we need to pack for Oliver, who will be spending an extended time with his grandparents. Chris's parents have taken care of Oliver many times and could probably pack for him if it came to that. But making sure he has everything he needs to be as comfortable as possible while away from mom and dad makes me feel better. So his list is a mile long.

2 comments:

  1. I scrapped the idea of needing a birth plan as well. Funny how we are so much more calm about a second child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a good process to research a birth plan to know what issues could arise or I'd have to make a decision on, and then to decide what was most important to me. But I don't think a birth plan would have changed the experience I had.

    ReplyDelete