Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Reflections on pregnancy

At the end of my pregnancy with Oliver, I never had a chance to reflect on it, because an early deliver took me by surprise and suddenly it was all over. I had gotten to the point where I really thought I was going to be pregnant forever, and then I wasn't. So just in case I go into labor sooner than expected, (although just by writing this I've jinxed myself into going 42 weeks) I wanted to put something on record.

I can pretty much sum up my feelings with, I still don't like being pregnant and the answer is always, beautiful as always. But for all the complaining I've done, I am thankful I've had the experience(s) of being pregnant, because it's truly an experience I believe you can't fully appreciate until you've lived it yourself. It's all at once a responsibility, a thrill, a pain, a magnet for attention, and a source of bonding with any other woman who's ever given birth to a baby.

Being pregnant has also intensified my belief in choice - for people to use advances in reproductive medicine to conceive, and more so, for women to chose whether they want to become pregnant or stay pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment