Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Monday, January 19, 2015

FMLA Decision

After a lot of consideration about parental leave.  I decided to take the standard 12 weeks of FMLA.  I wish it were more, but financial considerations decided for me.  I have only about seven weeks of vacation and sick time accrued (and I realize that is more many people have) and the reality of taking unpaid time has sunk in.  And then after the 12 weeks of FMLA, I'm responsible for the full cost of my family's health coverage (on top of not earning a salary), so that there guarantees I'll come back after 12 weeks, unless I have reason to stay home. I'm going in tomorrow for a few hours not only to tie up some loose ends, but also to make sure that FMLA clock doesn't start ticking until tomorrow instead of Saturday.  Those four extra days are precious to me. 

The uncertainties around how much time off I'll need is hard for a planner like myself.  I just don't know what we'll need until we meet our kids and come home with them.  I don't know how they'll adjust.  I don't know how the rest of my family will adjust. Although I know we're looking at one surgery for sure, until they're evaluated by doctors, I don't know what additional treatments they'll need. What calms me down a little is knowing that thanks to a supportive workplace and boss, I have lot of flexibility in how I take my leave. I can come back part-time, work from home or some combination thereof that fits with my family's needs and still allows me to do my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment