Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Friday, August 29, 2014

Two Weeks Down

Chris and I were a little worried when we pulled up in front of the house on Marcel's first day.  The kids were playing in the front yard and Marcel was slumped in a lawn chair.

"Uh oh, he looks tired," Chris said.

And he was.  The first words out of his mouth when we asked how his day had gone was that he was really, really tired. 

I knew the first day was going to be tough.  And the next few weeks for that matter.  When Oliver was really little, I had the opportunity on two different occasions to care for a friend's child.  I was honored my friends would trust me with their children and excited about my new role, but I'll admit that during the first week, I wasn't sure I was going to make it.  It was overwhelming to learn the schedule of another child and figure out feedings and nap times and how to get out the door with two kids.  And I was doing all this in the comfort of my own home, and not in another country with different customs and language.  Marcel had barely recovered from jet lag when he was given instructions in another language, the keys to a gigantic car and a nine-hour day to fill with a three- and five-year-old.

Marcel very quickly figured out what I have always preached to anyone home with young children - you need to get out of the house.  He takes it to the extreme, as I think the only reason they come home is so Soren can nap.  Otherwise, they are out and living it up as only a bunch of preschoolers would see fit - children's museum, parks, the lake, more parks, the zoo and if there's a bit of time left in the day, yet another park.  

Lakeside "selfie"
Since staying at home with kids can be isolating, I'm thankful Marcel connected with another German au pair who lives nearby and takes care of four boys.  The two of them have gotten the kids together numerous times these first two weeks for playdates and outings.  They fearlessly took six kids to the zoo.  Marcel described the experience as "easy."  He shows me the evidence on his cell phone - pictures of the boys standing mesmerized by the seals or videos of them playing happily (and quietly) together in the playroom at the other kids' house. 

My favorite story from their adventures with all six kids was about Marcel and his friend's impromptu tennis game.  They brought them to a playground that had a tennis court and after the children had a chance to run around, they herded them over to the tennis court.  The two young men sat them down on the sidelines and then got them fired up about cheering for the two of them as they battled it out on the court.  The kids were wild with excitement and cheered for the au pairs.  Can you believe the kids sat there for entire half-hour game and stayed engaged?  My kids reportedly got caught up in the excitement and were rooting for the other au pair, but when Marcel won, he got lots of cheers and hugs from Oliver and Soren. 

A first pump for surviving the first week!

No comments:

Post a Comment