Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Trash-Talking Among Preschoolers

You know Oliver and Soren are brothers by the way they trash-talk each other. "You can't come to my birthday party," Oliver taunts Soren.  And Soren has learned to dish it back with a counter-taunt of, "You can't have cake at my birthday party." The only thing that makes these exchanges almost cute is that they're the worst insults they're capable of throwing at each other.  Except it's not cute because the childish trash-talk usually results in yelling, tears and another sibling fight I have to mediate. 

Mediate I try as I remind myself this is one of those "teachable moments."  We talk a lot about treating each other with kindness and respect, which is one of our house rules.  I ask them how they would feel if they weren't invited to a party. I remind them that we show our manners by offering everyone a piece of cake, even when we don't want to.  With the build-up to "birthday season" at our house, I'm curious how well my teachable moments played out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment