Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Happy Birthday Neale!

He put his parents through an agonizing wait, but nine days after his due date, Baby Neale finally decided to make his appearance in this world this morning.  My brother, Scott, called about an hour after the birth and relayed the events that led up to the arrival of his first-born.  The afternoon plans they scrapped when the contractions started.  The wonder if this was "it" after two false alarms.  Road construction detours on a midnight drive to the hospital.  Twenty-eight hours of no sleep.

We talked about how surreal birth is.  Here's a baby you couldn't see or touch for nine months, packed inside his mother's uterus and now here he is, a brand new human being.  My daredevil little brother, the kid who once wanted to be a stunt man when he grew up, admitted he's done a lot of crazy things in his life.  "But wow, that was crazy," he said.  "And I all I did was sit there."

I'm glad to hear that staying up all night assisting his laboring wife and witnessing his son come into the world ranks up there with skydiving and driving from London to Mongolia.  

Clearly my brother is an adventure-seeker.  I promised him parenthood will be an equally crazy ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment