Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Monday, August 11, 2014

Renovation Week #4

Our renovation received another blow this week.  I thought we had passed all our inspections, but then learned that our bedroom windows are two inches too narrow to be a legal egress.  Never mind that the windows in our new master bedroom are big six inches wider than the single window in our current "master" bedroom. In a wise move, our contractor chose to break the news to Chris, (who's better at handling stress) who then called me, where I showed that my way of handling stress is to yell into the phone about wanting to send pictures of our ourselves to the city inspector to prove how not big we are.  


It's ironic we ended up with windows too small. When we were designing the new space, I kept pushing for  bigger windows because I wanted as much natural light as possible.  We're on a narrow city lot and with the houses so close together and a three-season porch on the front of the house, so we rely a lot on artificial light.  It looks like I'm going to get more even more natural light than I had hoped for - at least two inches worth. 

As for how to solve the problem of fitting bigger windows into a smaller cut-out in the framing, Chris and the contractor figured out a plan and even declared it an "easy" fix.  Then we're going to "recycle" the windows by replacing our dining room windows.  Ironically, the windows meant for our master bedroom are wider than the ones in our dining room.  But Chris and our contractor say they have a plan for that too.  I don't even want to know the details.  Once they told me they had it all figured out, I could feel my stress levels dropping.  First a waterfall in our house and now some swapping out a couple of windows - so far, still not so bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment