Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Monday, August 1, 2011

Pregnancy fatigue

"I'm more tired this time around" is a common refrain heard from moms experiencing their second pregnancy. I had prided myself on my energy level when pregnant with Oliver, but this time around, yes, I understand what women are talking about when they say they're more tired. That would be an understatement for me.

I have hit a few points during this pregnancy where a doctor would have probably diagnosed me with exhaustion (during that supposedly energetic second trimester, no less). And even without nausea, the first trimester (and then some) was miserable with the fatigue alone. I've been doing a lot better these past few weeks, but mostly I'm just really, really tired, and that's still no fun. I try to sleep 9-10 hours a night and don't go out anymore past sunset and yet I still never feel rested.

Maybe others who've been pregnant with a second kid would agree, but I think the biggest difference (not accounting for the fact that no two pregnancies are alike) is that it takes so much more energy when you're responsible for a toddler. When you're already a parent, there are fewer opportunities to slow down or take a break, even when you know you need it. Because I was pregnant with Oliver at the exact same point I'm pregnant with this one, I make a lot of comparisons, like not remembering being this hot or worn out by the heat. But last time I could wear myself out with a walk in the summer heat, because I knew I could spend however long I needed to recuperating in front of a fan with a cold drink in hand and taking a refreshing shower. Now just thinking about wrestling Oliver in and out of a stroller and the house just to go on a walk tires me out. I feel like I'm always conserving what little energy I have just to make sure I have a enough to meet Oliver's needs for 12 hours a day. (Thank goodness he still sleeps 12 hours at night!)

Thankfully Chris has loads of energy - enough to seemlingly to pick up my slack. He plays with Oliver outside in the afternoon heat, cheerfully reads books or colors with him and chases him around and plays other silly games, all while I sometimes feel like I can do nothing more than sit slumped in a chair. We're also talking about hiring a babysitter before Chris goes back to school. We know we'll need the help once the new baby arrives, and we'd like to give Oliver time to warm up to someone new, but I know having some time off here and there before the baby comes will be good for me too.

2 comments:

  1. oh man, I totally relate to this post! I'm just sooo tired all the time, seems like I wish I could take a morning nap or something... And like you, I kind of sit back and let Owen play with Nate--half the time I don't even leave the comfort of the air conditioning and join them because going outside in the heat just makes me miserable. I distinctly remember the summer I was pregnant with Owen, everyone warned me about feeling crappy, but I was on a pregnancy high and it was also a cool summer. This heat--they sure knew what they were talking about. I commend you for getting out the stroller. I only do it if its not very hot or sunny out.. Even at like 8 am I usually sweat off all my sunscreen and have to just sit at the park while he plays, gathering up the energy to walk back home... I feel very pathetic and sometimes wonder if I am just being lazy, but then I stand up and my pelvis aches and I think, no I'm just ridiculously pregnant. Oh, and a fenced in backyard is a wonderful thing--I agree, chasing a toddler while pregnant is hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only walk earlier in the morning, or the rare occassion, right after dinner, but even then it's often still too hot for me. I just feel so guilty for all the energy Chris puts into doing fun things with Oliver. But it helps having a reminder from women who know what the pregnancy fatigue feels like that this is just a challenging time physically. When it's cooler out and I happened to have had a good night's sleep, (I slept until 8:00 a.m. this morning - cannot, absolutely cannot, remember the last time I got to sleep that late) I do think, "Okay, I think I can do this."

    ReplyDelete