Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

32-Week Appointment

Work obligations at Chris's job finally didn't conflict with an appointment at the new clinic and I was looking forward to Chris meeting my new doctor at my 32-week appointment. I thought he'd really like her, and frankly, since I rave about him at every appointment, I kind of want her to meet the guy and prove he exists.

Unfortunately, the doctor wasn't in. She was being held up in emergency surgery. "Maybe she was called because they had to cut someone's leg off," suggested Chris. I laughed, but countered that they could find someone more qualified for that type of surgery than an OB.

With the doctor a no-show, (emergency c-section turns out - should have guessed) we met with the midwife in the practice. Obstetrician offices have two main systems for seeing pregnant women. Under one system, every patient is assigned a primary OB, but at each appointment, she sees a different doctor or midwife from the practice. The advantage with this scenario is that you have an opportunity to meet everyone, (and obtain different opinions on answers to questions) because you really don't know who will deliver your baby. Vacation, illness and the doctor's on-call schedule mean anyone could be in the on-deck circle when you go into labor.

At my current clinic, you see "your" doctor every appointment, and I think I prefer it this way, because I have the opportunity to build a rapport with someone. Any doctor would be able to see my chart, but I don't have to repeat my fears or concerns to her and she would better pick up on changes in mood or physical condition. In the end, I'm not worried about who will actually deliver my baby, but of course I do hope it's my doctor. She laughs easily and has got an attitude that is encouraging and not bossy. She's the type I imagine giving me a high five after delivery.

The midwife was as friendly as she was chill. I've kept my routine appointments routine by just asking whatever questions pop into my head while the nurse is taking my blood pressure or the doctor is measuring my stomach or the baby's heart beat. My time in the waiting room can last longer than the actual appointment itself. But when I pulled out a piece of paper with a long list of questions, the midwife leaned towards the exam table, propped her elbow on it, settled her head into her hand and looked as if she had all day to answer questions. Perhaps my need to now come to my appointments more organized is because I feel as if my due date is starting to loom over me and I don't want to be left unprepared, or that Chris was there with me and it would be an opportunity for him to hear the answers first-hand, rather than second-hand.

My questions ranged from the procedural, like who do I call when I think I'm in labor, to ones that opened a dialogue on what the hospital or clinic's practices are in regards to hot topics like c-sections and inductions. Part of me couldn't help be wonder if I was the only one to ever ask such a question or voice a specific request. She put me at ease when she said that as a midwife, her patients are naturally more "earthy," and it was obvious my questions and concerns didn't faze her. I saw the hint of a wry smile when I asked if it's true if water spritzed with fresh lemon helps reduce water retention, (or it could have been that I lead the question off with, "I read on the Internet...") but it seemed as if it was one of the least random questions she's been asked.

I felt like I finally reached a comfortable middle ground with my opinion towards pregnancy and labor. I had always considered myself "earthy," but surprised myself that I was not interested in a natural birth, reading to my kid in utero, or going on a strict organic-only diet - all those things you think a wanna-be hippie would be into. My sense is that the midwife believed in alternative and spiritual practices, but as a health care professional, was also grounded in science. If something has no proven benefit, but it makes you feel better or more comfortable, go for it. If pain medications have side effects, but are not proven to be unhealthy for you or the baby, or if the benefits of continuing a medication while pregnant outweigh the proven negatives, then either decision one way or another is fine. Even within conventional science, there's still a broad range of choice, and in addition, room for wishes, hunches, or beliefs not yet "proven" by science.

No comments:

Post a Comment