Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Paid Parental Leave in the News

I got a call from a reporter on Monday morning and saw this news story posted this morning: Minnesota State Employees Seek Paid Parental Leave.  Pretty cool, even if I find it difficult to listen to a recording of my voice.  But I'll talk to as many people as it takes to get the word out on this issue. 

Since I'm not directly involved in union contract negotiations, I don't know what our chances are in successfully negotiating paid parental leave. At least we have a shot, which isn't the case in other states.  After I finished reading the article on Minnesota's negotiations, another headline caught my eye: Report: MI Needs Family-Friendly Jobs, Not Anti-Family Policies. The Michigan state legislature recently passed legislation prohibiting local governments from enacting ordinances that would require employers to provide paid or unpaid leave. Sadly, other states have passed similar legislation, including our neighbor, Wisconsin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment