Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Non-Religious and Lonely in the Adoption Community

Adoption came with many surprises, one of them having nothing to do with adoption at all.  I discovered it's pretty lonely in the adoption community if you're not religious.  It really surprised me that seemingly everyone I've encountered since we started the journey to adopt has been a devout Christian.  Or maybe I'm the only agnostic, pro-choice, supporter of gay rights, vegetarian blogging about adoption and trolling the Facebook adoption groups, or so it seems.

I was relieved to find the online adoption community on Facebook, but often felt like I couldn't relate to others whose only common thread connecting them to me was that they too were in process to adopt. I felt like an outsider because God didn't call me to adopt, I didn't pray about whether a referral of a child was meant to be my son or daughter, it never occurred to me to be thankful that my children will have the opportunity to know Jesus, and my frustrations with slow-downs in the process weren't appeased by reminders of "His timeline" or that the "devil hates adoption".  With all the Bible-quoting and religious references that followed even the most mundane of questions, I sometimes felt like I couldn't speak the same language as my adoption community.

I didn't understand why the adoption community is so religious when infertility, which is blind to faith, is a top reason people chose to adopt.  Non-Christians experiencing infertility are of course still adopting, and a portion of those experiencing infertility happen to be practicing Christians. But what is drawing so many Christians to adoption otherwise? (And why are non-Christian or non-religious families not a presence in Facebook groups or in the blogosphere?) I learned that there is a movement in the Christian faith, particularly among evangelical Christians, to adopt.  The Bible asks Christians to be the "father of the fatherless" and one way to fulfill this duty is through adoption, which is not an unusual concept for those who believe that we are all adopted - by God.  Adoption also supports other evangelical Christian values, such as their pro-life beliefs, addressing global poverty and bringing Jesus Christ to the Christ-less.  Some churches even have adoption or orphan ministries and many more put on Orphan Sunday events every November.

You wouldn't think I'd feel so out of place given that Chris and I were raised Christian and have family members and friends who are church-goers.  My grandmother attends church every Sunday, my uncle is a minister and I happily accompany my dad to Friends Meeting on the rare occasions I am home visiting (and on a Sunday). But religion in my everyday life is in the background.  Outside of one of my uncle's sermons, I've never encountered anyone who quoted the Bible.  And I have friends who've joined churches because they wanted a community, not necessarily because they're religious. I still feel very connected culturally to the Quaker faith, but I no longer attend or belong to a Friends Meeting.  All in all, my religious background is simply on the opposite end of the spectrum from the evangelical Christians who make up a good portion of the adoption community.

It doesn't matter to me why others choose to adopt. In fact, I wish more people would. So I think it's awesome, regardless of one's religious beliefs, when a family adopts.  I just felt left out, and frankly, a little jealous. I don't have a church community who gets adoption, who has families like mine and who rallies behind fundraising efforts. I think that's wonderful. 

As supportive as everyone has been on this journey, I assume our friendships will never extend beyond the Internet because we won't have enough in common beyond adoption.  There's a huge adoption conference every spring in Georgia that would be totally up my alley because I'd get to hang out with adoptive parents - my community - all weekend, but I'll never go because the conference is so religion-heavy. Instead, I longingly read about the conference on everyone else's blog and see the pictures pop up in my Facebook newsfeed. 

Sometimes the Christian-dominated adoption world leaves me feeling discriminated against. Never by the other parents who have supported me through this journey, but by the adoption agencies who only accept practicing Christians (and only specific denominations at that) and by the organizations whose grants and loans to cover the exorbitant cost of adoption are only given to Christian families who belong to a church. In the eyes of these organizations, I feel like I'm less worthy as an adoptive parent.

Only after we completed our adoptions did I discover two secular Facebook adoption groups, "Secular Foster & Adoptive Parenting" and "Secular Adoptive Families." They have small memberships and are not exclusive to China adoption, so they can't guide you through the steps and issues specific to China adoption, but nonetheless, I finally felt like I had a place I could truly be myself.  If only I had known about them two years ago. 

As lonely as I have felt, I'm used to being the odd one out and doing my own thing.  With the exception of Chris' aunt, no one close to us has adopted.  So we've been forging our own path for some time now and will continue to do just fine.  I chose to write about adoption on this blog in the hope that our experience helps someone else in the process of adopting, or even inspires them to adopt.  What I never knew was that there would be a need for contributions in the adoption community from the non-religious.  If I speak up, perhaps the adoption community will be a little less lonely for others like myself. 

15 comments:

  1. Hi Kirsten! Just wanted you to know that I am reading your blog and we are hoping to start the adoption process sometime soon. Though Mike and I are Christian, our decision is not religiously motivated (haha, never knew that "the devil hates adoption") and I am a vegetarian, to boot. We certainly aren't in a denomination that has any special perks for adoption. Your blog is most definitely an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Whoops, didn't finish)- (and eye-opener) and I love that you have made such a detailed and heartfelt record of your process and love seeing pics of your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks Jenn! I'm thrilled you and Mike are considering adoption. I'm here for you whatever path you choose. It can be a crazy ride, as you have seen from my blog, but each family's journey is unique and miraculous.

    As for the devil hating adoption, I've heard that a couple of times in reference to when things go wrong and hinder the adoption process in some way. I've obviously never thought of it that way. But when the New Jersey DHS wouldn't process my child abuse background check in a timely manner, I almost screamed at them that New Jersey hates adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirsten... We are right there with you. Not to mention that as far as grants, loans etc they are nearly all for Christians who attend a church and have statements from church officials. One loan seemed like we could sign then when I got to the nitty gritty we had to say we are opposed to gay marriage etc.. Um no. I am in fact appalled that China would allow agencies that ONLY allow Christians to adopt to operate at all in the country. That would mean most Chinese people would be unable to adopt from those agencies (and it is against the official rules- but they are not enforced). Love the blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am right there with you! I am a Christian, but I have never really worn it on my sleeve, and it is not the reason we are adopting. I found your blog looking for timelines that might be similar to ours. I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see others like us. We have very close friends who are religious people who have even stated they can't believe how much discrimination we've faced in our adoption journey. We are thankful to have the support of our close family and select friends but still the struggles of explaining we are not 'called to adopt' is real. We are good people that love unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad I just read this. My husband and I are looking into the adoption process and are having a very hard time finding a couple that we can relate to. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kirsten! I actually discovered your blog through this post. I googled "non-religious adoption blog" or something to that affect and this came up. I want to thank you so very much for posting this and being so open about your journey. My husband and I are just exploring the possibility of adoption down the road, and I have found your blog to be so comforting, not only from an adoption stand-point, but a parenting stand-point (I have gone back and read your blogs starting from the beginning). I have only been casually looking into adoption and was already starting to feel isolated as a non-religious person, so I thank you again for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kirsten,
    Great post! We have adopted 3 and are just starting for number 4. I was raised Catholic but gave that up a long tim ago. We consider ourselves, spiritual, but not religious. The process of looking for grants and loans is in deed SOO frustrating for non-Christians! I definitely am with everything you wrote about here.

    Thanks for mentioning the Facebook groups, I have joined both, looking forward to it!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I wanted to say that I'm really glad I found your blog through this post. I am a Christian Quaker, pro-choice, supporter of gay rights, vegetarian :-P but my husband is not religious and just today asked me if we could find more non-religious things to read about adoption.

    While I have no problem with people using the language of God and Jesus, it does get tiresome sometimes when I know it is used by people with some radically different values from myself. As a progressive Christian I am deeply disturbed by the idea of adopting children to "save them from" their original culture's religion (I know it exists) and the idea of Christian-only adoption agencies is horrible. We are fortunate not to deal with that right now because we are going to try foster-to-adopt first. I'm sure I would not fit their definition of Christian anyway, so this may be a problem for us in the future.

    I'm also going to subscribe to the two Facebook groups - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another Quaker! (And a pro-choice, supporter of gay rights, vegetarian to boot!)I was raised Quaker in New Jersey, but now consider myself agnostic and "culturally Quaker".

      Delete
  11. I found this searching for "secular international adoption." We are just beginning our adoption process but the only other experiences I can find online are very heavy on the scripture and "saving" aspect. Would love to find a community of like-minded adoptive progressives!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I are just starting our journey to adoption, and it is nice to finally see some non Christian writings. Nothing against Christians but as a pagan/agnostic it has been daunting. I have been terrified that we will not be called to raise a child because of our beliefs or lack there of.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very glad to have found your post. I have been researching foster care adoption, and in my very large, albeit Southern, city - only one organization offers foster/adoption help to non-Christians. And the organization does not have the best reputation. Every other organization requires pastor letters, church references, etc. I've tried contacting the county/state to directly work with them, but get absolutely no return calls or emails (not a surprise). I am at a loss of how to proceed. I'm practically begging to foster and adopt, but can't seem to get past Step 1 when I don't have a christian organization helping me. Glad to at least know there are others out there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this post! Like some others, I stumbled on this after a Google search for non-religious adoption stories. My husband and I are just beginning to consider international adoption, and I'm reading a lot of blogs - so happy to find a family we can relate to!

    ReplyDelete