Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Morning Glory Muffins

My kids love carbs.  I think that's normal for this age, but it stresses me out sometimes when I'm trying to encourage eating a variety of foods.  Knowing that I like to bake, a friend gave me this Morning Glory Muffins recipe and I knew looking at the ingredients, that if I was going to feed my kids a carb-laden snack, at least this one covered some key nutritional areas - dairy, fruits, vegetables, protein, healthy fats and lots of fiber.  Oliver gobbled up the inaugural batch and I knew I had a winner.  

Years later, I'm still making these muffins, as are many of my friends with young children.  They've fed hungry toddlers at park playdates and rec center tot times.  They're easy to make, aren't too sweet despite the sugar and they freeze well.  I store them in large Ziplocs in the freezer and then pull a couple out ahead of snack time. 

Morning Glory Muffins

• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup oil
• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• 3 eggs
• 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
• 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
• 2 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. salt
• 2 tsp. cinnamon
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
• 1 1/2 cups grated apples
• 3/4 cup coconut (unsweetened)
• 1/2 raisins
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Mix all ingredients, adding carrots and fruit last. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

Makes 24 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment