Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Low-Key Birthday

The truth about having a birthday right after Christmas is that I'm honestly exhausted by the time January 6 rolls around.  The post-holiday exhaustion has only gotten worse since having kids.  The build-up starts in the fall with the kids' and Chris's birthday and our anniversary.  Then comes the craziness of the Thanksgiving-through-New Year's period.  Even when I say this is the year I'll have party, I end up running out of time to plan anything.

Prior to my birthday, everyone has spent weeks attending holiday parties, eating and drinking a lot and staying out late.  By the time my birthday rolls around, you're either still sticking to your New Year's resolution of eating better and drinking less and the last you want is for my birthday cake to ruin your new-found healthy habits, or you just want a nap.  Thus I actually feel guilty asking anyone to celebrate with me.

I may not be a big celebrator of my birthday, but I like to do something.  And so I vowed that this year I really would do something, even if it was small.  I e-mailed a handful of friends in the middle of the week to see who was around on Saturday.  One friend immediately confirmed she could make it.  Even if no one else could come over on such short notice, I officially had birthday plans!

Having very little time forced me to keep things simple.  I think what overwhelmed me in past years was getting hung up on thinking a party required lots of planning.  All I really needed to host a birthday dinner was a meal, cake and wine.  To save on a trip to the store, I ordered groceries online for the first time and then cooked a big pot of chili the night before and baked cornbread from the Jiffy box mix.  Even though I prefer to bake my own cakes or cupcakes because I enjoy baking (and because I'm frugal), I again opted for convenience and bought cupcakes from a local bakery.  There was a mad scramble on Saturday afternoon as I attempted to clean with two kids present in the house, but once Chris took them swimming at the Y, I had the time I needed to put toys away, clean up and set out drinks and food.  

Despite the last-minute planning, the evening ended up being exactly the kind of birthday celebration I had hoped for.  A lively group of friends, good wine (and no where to drive) and lots of laughter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment