Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Not All Children Are Adopted

Oliver and Soren received a new cousin yesterday when Cousin Ashley gave birth to Levi.  Based on chatter on Facebook, I had suspected that Ashley had gone into labor the day before, so I was very excited when I received an e-mail this morning confirming that she had given birth.  I pulled up the pictures of Baby Levi for Oliver and Soren to see and gleefully introduced them to their new cousin.  Oliver looked at the pictures, and to my surprise, asked, "Is he going to be adopted too?

Chris and I have been talking with the kids a lot about adoption.  We have a couple of adoption books we read to them and Oliver knows he's going to get a new brother or sister from a far, far away place called China.  He knows that adoption is a way to form families, but I think we have neglected to talk about why some children are placed for adoption and others stay with their birth mothers and fathers, because Oliver suddenly believes that all children are adopted.  Thankfully, Baby Levi has parents who can take care of him, I explained, so he'll stay with Cousin Matt and Cousin Ashley, but other children are raised by adoptive parents if their birth parents can't take care of them.  I started to ramble and it looked like I was losing him, so I cut myself off. 

Oliver looked back at the picture and said very genuinely, "Awww, cute!"

No comments:

Post a Comment