Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Friday, January 4, 2013

Small Gestures

It's the small gestures that count.  The receptionist at work flagged me down before I hopped on the elevator and told me flowers were delivered to me at the front desk.  I thought for sure she meant there were flowers for my co-worker whose last day was today, and she wanted me to bring them back to her desk for her.  But nope, they really were for me.  My husband had sent me flowers, not just as an early birthday present, but also to celebrate my one-year anniversary at my new job, which is today. 

I had planned to stay home with the kids for a couple more years and when an incredible job opportunity came up, I felt I had to take the leap into the unknown.  Fast forward one year and I now feel so lucky that I like my job and have a nanny who takes great care of my kids and keeps the household afloat and a supportive husband.  I was so touched that he had acknowledged (and so publicly) what a challenging, but amazing year I have experienced. 

If the flowers hadn't been surprise enough, when I came home, I smelled the sweet scent of freshly baked cake and saw balloons decorating my dining room.  Our thoughtful nanny had spent the afternoon baking and decorating with the kids to surprise me for my birthday.  In addition to a book by her favorite Brazilian author, she treated me to a traditional Brazilian birthday cake. 

At my age, I'm not concerned about presents, (even if they still are nice to receive) or receiving a lot of attention on my birthday.  Some people like to make a big deal about their birthday, but I've never been one of those types (at least as an adult).  So as I quietly turn another older, those small gestures leave a big impact on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment