Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Why You Don't Need to Feel Sorry for a Vegetarian on Thanksgiving

As a vegetarian, the part about Thanksgiving I dread every year are the tiring comments about how Thanksgiving must suck for a vegetarian, or whether I'm going to eat Tofurky or questioning what I could possibly eat if I don't eat turkey.  (Um, everything else.)  Yes, even though I'm a vegetarian, I really like Thanksgiving and I like Thanksgiving food.  I don't know how a holiday that's supposed to be about family, friends and giving thanks reduced its focus to a single food item. 

Every year I look forward to large family gatherings and enjoying one of the few times a year my kids see their extended family together in one spot.  I enjoy the time off work and having an extra long weekend.  I consider Thanksgiving to be the beginning of the holiday season and thus when all the fun begins.   

And then there's the food.  I enjoy the comfort foods and the tradition of the food served, whether I eat every dish or not.  Some of my fondest memories living abroad where the Thanksgivings I celebrated among fellow ex-pats, exchange students, host families, university classmates and even my own family who happened to visit me one year at the end of November.  Stateside for a decade now, I enjoy the truly American culinary traditions that make up the Thanksgiving meal.  As a vegetarian, I contribute a main course complement to the turkey and I enjoy the freedom to bring whatever I want.  For three years now, it's been a Moroccan tagine. 

Thanksgiving encompasses so much that I could care less about the turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment