Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Monday, November 5, 2012

Why I'm Voting No

I'm voting no tomorrow on Minnesota's discriminatory same-sex marriage admendment for Oliver and Soren.  I know so much about my two children - they love to play with trucks in the sand, eat cookies, read books and snuggle with their parents - yet still so little about who they will become.  Being that they're only three and one, I have no idea where they will go to school, what hobbies they will explore, what they will study, what jobs they will hold or who they will love.  
 
 
I do know that I will love them for whoever they become.  I look forward to all the ways in which they'll surprise me, because at this young of an age, their futures are so wide open.  So I don't want to slam one door shut for either of them.  One day, probably way too soon, they'll have eyes for someone other than Mommy and I don't want them to realize their freedom had been decided for them long before they had a say in it. 
 
What are more universal dreams as parents for their kids than to pursue what they love, be happy, and love and be loved?  That's why this vote is for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment