Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Kids Say the Darndest Things

Oliver and his friend were playing in her bedroom when I stepped out to change Soren's diaper.  As I walked down the hall, I heard their laughter and the sounds of what appeared to be cooperative play.  You'd be surprised how well these two get along given the contrast in their personalities.  My friend's daughter is confident and bold and if she wants someone to play with her, well, she wants to do so badly.  Oliver is quieter and more apprehensive, and while he's social in his own way, he needs his personal space.   

I was chatting with my friend as I changed Soren, when we suddenly overheard her very self-assured daughter command in her loudest voice, "Oliver, sleep with me!  I want you to sleep with me!"  Her pleading continued and grew louder and madder.  And at the mature age of three, how did my little boy respond?  He quietly, but confidently, said, "No, I want to go home and sleep in my own bed."

My friend and I just about died laughing.  Apparently the two had been climbing on and off the bed until Oliver's friend decided they were instead going to play "pretend to go to sleep."  The humor we found in their innocence was clearly lost on them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment