Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Cold Weather Tricks

All the years I've lived in Minnesota, I thought it was urban lore that when it gets cold enough, you can throw water in the air and it freezes. Low and behold, it's true!  And it doesn't have to even be that cold.  Just -5 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.  Since we're in the midst of Minnesota's annual mid-January cold snap and the highs this weekend stayed in the negative digits, it was about time I test out this phenomenon. 

The kids were so excited to go outside and we even dragged Celina out with us. She was brave enough to come to Minnesota, and because of that, I think she should be able to go home with some cool stories of Minnesota's infamous winter weather.  So we gave her the honor of throwing the cup of bowling water into the air. 

Winter Fun in Minnesota

Chris was able to explain to the kids the science behind why only boiling water freezes instantly, but I'll let a climatologist explain on my behalf: Cold Weather Experiments to Try.

No comments:

Post a Comment