Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Friday, April 10, 2015

National Sibling Day

According to Facebook, it's National Sibling Day.  I'm so thankful for Scott, my one and only sibling.  He's part of the reason I've always wanted to have a large family.  How much more would my life have been enriched if there were more Scotts?
Scott and I the night before his wedding in April 2013
Now I do have that large family (at least large by American, modern-day standards) with two biological children and two adopted children.  Their sibling relationship is going to be undoubtedly different than mine was and is with my brother.  Michelle, an adoptive mom friend of mine, whose three children are all adopted, summed up the sibling relationship so beautifully. 
My definition of a sibling: It's NOT about biology, common ancestors, or blood lines. It IS about the fierce, deep love for each other. It IS about reliance, bonding, nurture, with a foundation of family. It IS about the spats, tears, and deepest frustrations toward each other, and knowing that through thick and thin, they will always have each other. It's about sharing common family experiences, and it's about knowing they have parents and family, who deeply, unconditionally, love them.
These are my four.  Someday I'll get them all looking at the camera and smiling nicely for their dear mom who wants nothing more than a well-posed picture of her happy children.  But at this moment in their lives, being siblings is about a shared disdain for family pictures.
Easter Sunday, 2015

1 comment: