Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Soren Update: 2.5 Years

Soren loves waving at dogs and saying hi to them, which is ironic, because he's still terrified of them. If someone out walking a dog sees cute little kid waving at his or her dog, the person rightly assumes the kid wants to pet the dog.  However as soon as the dog is within two feet of Soren, he screams and the dog-owner ends up apologizing because he or she assumes the dog must have done something to purposefully scare Soren.

Soren talks up a storm now, but unfortunately, it's very difficult to understand him.  I often resort to asking Oliver for a translation.  I remember being worried about Oliver's speech development, but when I looked back at my blog post for him at this same age, I noted that he, too, was difficult to understand.  And he has no problems communicating now.

Then there are magical moments when Soren spouts out a multi-word sentence and speaks it clear as day.  And I think Soren can no longer be considered a baby, but instead a little boy with thoughts and opinions of his own.  

At bedtime, Soren still wants to climb into bed and adjust his blankets and stuffed animals all just so before I read him his book, and he still wants a cuddle and a kiss before I leave his room for the night, but he no longer pulls me close and if I try to snuggle and nuzzle him too closely, he actually pushes me away.  As minor as this little mark of independence from mom and dad is, it nevertheless makes me sad. 

Soren goes to bed easily and happily, as long as you don't scrimp on the bedtime story, but gosh is this kid not really a morning person.  He has such an easy-going personality, but lately he's been sleeping later (not complaining there!) and when I wake him to get him ready for daycare, he protests loudly and throws his covers over his head or flips himself over and buries his head face-first in his pillow.  It's like he's a teenager.  I leave the light on and go about my morning routine and usually a few minutes later he wants a hug and is finally ready to start his day. 

He's showing other signs of independence by wanting to do more things for himself.  We have a new stool in the kitchen that has two steps to it and he very quickly figured out that if he drags it over to his booster seat or the bar stool, he can climb in and out of the chair by himself and it's clear he likes this independence. He tries to put his shoes on by himself (even though he only manages to get his toes in) and sometimes shows in interest in helping me dress him.  He still lets me pick out his clothes, but definitely has his favorite pieces of clothing, like the shirt with two bears on it.  Before he will put the shirt on, he has to point to the larger bear and yell, "Daddy bear!" And then he puts to the smaller bear and yells, "Soren!"

He still wants to be babied when going up or down the stairs, at which point he raises his little arms up towards me and says, "Carry me." If I'm not carrying something I oblige, because it's a moment where my little boy is still a little boy. 

And little he still is.  Because the size 18-month pants are too short, we moved Soren into size 2T pants, but we have the roll the pants legs up to make them fit.  The 2T tops fit him quite well.  Most of Soren's wardrobe used to belong to Oliver and seeing him in those clothes brings back memories of when Oliver was his age. 

Minnesota recently experienced a few days of spring and it got warm enough that I had to open the windows on our second level to let the air circulate.  Because of the open windows, our neighbors who were enjoying an al fresco dinner on their patio, were serenaded with the screams and wails of my children taking their baths.  Soren is back to really, really hating baths.  Which is why this winter we only bathed the kids about once a week because that's all we had the energy for.  But once summer arrives and they come home from daycare covered in sweat, sand and sunscreen, daily baths will be a necessity.  I need to brace myself now.  And maybe gift the neighbors a box of earplugs.

Even though Soren really dislikes baths, there's a lot he loves.  Like his blocks, trains, books, building forts out of blankets and couch cushions, stuffed animals, drawing, painting and doing ANYTHING Oliver is doing.  He remains a good eater for being a toddler.  He goes through stages where he's pickier than other times, but you can put almost anything in front of him without fear of a huge protest.  He might not eat it, but he doesn't scream about it, and if it sits in front of him long enough, he might even start nibbling.  Right now he loves granola bars, raisins, animal crackers, cheese, yogurt, sandwiches, pasta, pancakes, waffles, oh, and tofu.  When I serve him a dish with tofu, that's the only part of the dish he eats!  And with gusto! His milk consumption has finally slowed down.  I remember Oliver's interest in drinking milk with meals dropped off pretty suddenly around age two, but Soren still wants a sippy cup of milk with most meals, even if he doesn't drink the amount he used to.  

Like Oliver, it took Soren weeks to fully get in the groove of daycare.  And when he did, he didn't look back at me when I dropped him off in his classroom, and, instead, headed straight for the group of kids gathered around the table where the morning activity was set out.  Exactly a week later they transitioned Soren to an older classroom and the crying and lunging for me when I tried to leave started all over again.  Luckily, a transition to a new classroom was easier than starting at a new daycare, and after a week, he started marching into daycare each morning like he owned the place.  And it warms my heart when the teachers from his old classroom coo over him in the hallway and tell me how much they miss him.  He's already made an impact on his new teachers, one of whom told me Soren is her favorite and then gushed about what a good-natured kid he is and how well he gets along with all the other kids.  I'm sure they tell all parents that, but gosh, it still made me proud.   

With all that he does at daycare, it's no wonder when the weekend rolls around and you ask him what he wants to do, he tells you that he either wants to stay home or play at home.  Despite the endless source of energy toddlers appear to be, even they need some time to chill out and enjoy down-time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment