Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Home Study Orientation

We plan to mail in the paperwork for our background checks and our finger print cards on Friday and once the state of Minnesota and the FBI gives our adoption agency the all clear, our home study can officially begin.  The home study is the first big step in the adoption process and involves interviews with our social worker, a visit to our home, lots of paperwork and at least ten hours of education on adoption. 

I met with our social worker, Lindsey, today to go over all the paperwork we'll need to complete as part of the home study.  The stack is somewhere between thicker than the stack of paperwork we signed for our refinance two weeks ago and thinner than what I'd imagined we'd be tackling.  Since Chris is away for work the next two weeks and Lindsey reports to jury duty the Monday Chris gets back, I was thankful she agreed to meet with just me so we can get started.  I almost feel like we have a three-week head start to collect documents, fill out questionnaires, get finger-printed, complete the first round of education and schedule home visits. 

I had started the adoption process under the impression that the social worker was from outside the adoption agency and remained mostly a stranger who showed up for the home visit and was somehow "against" you by looking for anything wrong with your house or family.  Then I learned that Lindsey, the woman who has been guiding us and will continue to guide us through every step of the process, is that one that writes our home study.  She finds it a blessing to be a part of an adoptive family's journey and is here to be our resource. 

I've been impressed with Lindsey so far.  She's answered every last question I've thrown at her so far (and I have a lot!) and she was both calm and encouraging as she explained the long and detailed process to adopt from China.  I had gone in with some worries about the process and left feeling more informed and encouraged.  What a relief to have a friendly face in what can feel like an overwhelming, personal and intrusive process.

No comments:

Post a Comment