Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Recovered

My recovery the first two weeks after surgery progressed really well.  I actually felt well enough to return to my desk job the Monday after surgery and by my post-op appointment a week post-surgery, I was no longer taking prescription painkillers and had stopped my scheduled doses of Tylenol and Ibuprofen. 

While I up and about and going about my daily routine in what seemed like a very short amount of time after surgery, the area around my incisions felt sore and tired by the evening if I'd done too much during the day. It was frustrating to realize that going for leisurely lunchtime walk was too much.  Every twinge I felt in my lower abdomen made me worry that the damage inside of me wasn't healing properly.  I quickly reached feeling 95% recovered, but I felt like I was never going to fully recover. 

I was playing with the kids yesterday when I realized that I was picking up my kids up like I did pre-surgery.  My body didn't go into its subconscious defensive mode by lifting them as gingerly as possible and I didn't feel guilty, like I was jeopardizing my health.  Instead, I tossed Soren (gently still) in the air and swung him around as he smiled and giggled.  I sat on a swing and pulled Oliver into my lap so we could swing together.  And it felt good!  My body felt good and I felt relief that I may have reached 100% recovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment