Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Spring May Never Come to Minnesota

Chris and Oliver are outside making a snowman.  On April 13.  The seasons in Minnesota can be cruel.  By last weekend, the last of the snow and ice had disappeared from even the shady parts of our yard.  We ventured outside wearing just long-sleeve shirts.  The kids pushed their trikes up and down the sidewalk.  We saw our neighbors for the first time in months.  It was chilly, but sunny and spring felt within sight.  That night I washed all the kids' winter gear - jackets, hats, mittens and snowpants.  Before I had a chance to box everything up and put in storage in the basement, it snowed three days in a row.  Yes, the seasons in Minnesota can be cruel indeed. 

Friends have posted pictures on Facebook that struck me as odd.  Then I realized the photos looked odd because people were in shorts and t-shirts or I could see green grass and flowers in the background.  It's inconceivable to me that it's been in the 60s and 70s in Philadelphia.

Meanwhile, my friends in the Upper Midwest and northern New England have been trying to use humor to cope.  Some of my favorite pictures posted on Facebook have been these two.



 
 Photo

Meanwhile, in Minnesota....



Oliver may be the only one will miss the snow.  Every day he'd ask to go outside so he could shovel and he happily made "snow castles" using his sand buckets.  He was stoked when he and Chris went outside today.  I was expecting them to build a tiny little snowman and was shocked to step outside to a snowman taller than I am and the beginning of a fortress they made by using the recycling bin to make blocks of snow.  As the saying goes, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

 

2 comments:

  1. I think Oliver takes after his Dad's love for the snow. You also forgot to mention that we built the snow fortress to protect the snowman from Spring.

    ReplyDelete