Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Friday, October 5, 2012

Cradle Cap

I always thought cradle cap was something only babies got, so I was shocked when I took Oliver in for a haircut and the hairdresser pointed out that he had a bad case of it.  I spent the next nine months trying to get rid of it. Oliver hadn't started growing hair until about 18 months and didn't get his first haircut until age two, so until that point, I would have noticed anything amiss immediately.  So the cradle cap went easily unnoticed after he finally grew hair.

After months of washing Olive'rs hair with Selsum Blue, which is what his pediatrician had recommended to use to get rid of the cradle cap he had as an infant, it showed no signs of clearing up.  I finally resorted to what you're not supposed to do and I turned to Google. On a message board somewhere in the depths of the Internet, another mom mentioned she put olive oil in her daughter's hair, let it sit for 15 minutes, and then combed away the softened skin scales with a fine-toothed comb. 

Instead of olive oil, I used jojoba oil since it doesn't stain because I wasn't sure how easily I'd wash all the oil out of Oliver's hair.  Oliver hates having his hair wash and was even less happy about having me repeatedly comb his hair and pick at his scalp, but the treatment worked!  I'm glad I didn't resort to buzzing his hair, which had been my other idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment