Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My boss has been trying for months to fill an open position in our division.  I didn't think it would be difficult to find a qualified candidate, especially when nearly 150 people applied.  Yet my boss estimated only a quarter of those were even moderately qualified.  It seemed crazy to me that she was having so much trouble finding the right person until I started my own hiring process for a nanny.  If what I saw in the search process for a nanny reflects what the business world is seeing, I now understand what it means to have quantity over quality. 

When Chris and I learned that our nanny would be moving away at the end of the summer, we posted a nanny position on care.com. Over an eight-day period, we received a surprising 45 responses.  That sounds promising, except that many we couldn't consider because they lived too far away, were asking more than we could afford or were only available for the summer (when I specifically stated that we needed a commitment of at least a year).  Then there were those who reminded me that the advice my parents and career counselors had drilled into me about first impressions and professionalism was dead on. 

What's your first impression of either of these women?

Hello my name is Sandra i was wondering if you still needed someone to care for your kids or kid.? I can work Monday - Friday.I have a nine month old i would have to care for on the weekends so i am sorry.I can also work hours from 5am to 8pm.

At least she gave punctuation a try.  The next one blew me away.

i love kids i have been babysitting since i was 10 years old i don't smoke or drink i graduated from high school i have transportation I'm available at any time I'm very responsible i will keep them safe and engage them in activities i know how to cook clean and do laundry

Seriously, folks.  You're applying for a job!  I know applying over e-mail may feel informal, but how difficult is it to compose a simple introductory e-mail?  Since I had written in the job posting that we were looking for someone "who speaks well, will be a good role model to our kids and is interested in helping them develop their social, emotional, and intellectual skills," these two were rejected before I even looked at their profiles. 

Then there were the people who rubbed me the wrong way.  The woman who's one-line e-mail started off with, "I hope this doesn't sound rude," and went on to ask about pay (our pay range was listed on the job description) and benefits.  I was taken aback by how many people offered their unsolicited views on the differences between girls and boys.  They clearly didn't know they were talking to a Women's Studies major with strong opinions (contrary to theirs) on the subject.  The question that really got me though was the prospect who inquired about whether our home is "kid-friendly, neat and organized."  I'm already self-conscious enough about the state of our house and a nanny whose intro question is that would make me feel constantly judged. 

Then there were those we didn't consider for a reason I never fathomed before the search process would be an issue and that was the feeling that, for lack of better words, the nanny-employer relationship would be too unequal.  There were a number of people who clearly needed the money, and while any parent is leery of hiring someone who may not being looking to be a nanny for the pure love of working with children, I realized I was not comfortable with a situation where my nanny would feel stuck with us because she has no other options.  I'd feel like we were taking advantage of her and I don't want to be the dead end for someone's career.  And I think it's healthy for our nanny to want to and be able to move on if life circumstances, career aspirations or job fulfillment change.  And what do you make of a situation where a currently unemployed candidate tells you that she loves kids and has always wanted kids, but due to the economy, she and her partner are unable to afford having a family?  I felt like I was guilty of classism whether I considered any of these candidates or not. 

Forty-five applications and all the above-mentioned considerations later, we were left with three people we wanted to interview.  Only two we were really excited about.  We weren't 100% sure about the third, but her profile picture reminded me so much of my friend Dawn, who is a sweet and loving mom.  She had tapped into my emotional side without even trying, but after about two minutes of conversation, I determined that she was quite under qualified.  (And she looked nothing like her picture or Dawn in real life.) 

All it takes is one and we're really excited about the nanny we hired.  But when I go to work, I'll enjoy being in a position where I'm not the hiring manager.

1 comment:

  1. This was a good post! I like your observations about the perceived informality of e-mail and the unsolicited opinions about boys vs girls. There is a lot of that where I am living now. Hard not to comment, but harder to overcome.

    ReplyDelete