Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

How Having Kids Has Affected My Life for the Better

My brother asked me, "How has having kids affected your life for the better?" 

I instantly knew in my heart all the ways Oliver and Soren have affected my life for the better, but how do I describe the miraculous feeling knowing that there are two brand new human beings on this earth because of Chris and me?  How do I explain the love I have for them when I can't even count all the ways I love them?  How do I prove that their entrance into my life completed me when I didn't know beforehand that they, not just any kids, had been lacking. 

I won't sugar coat parenting - it's the hardest thing I have ever, EVER done.  There are days when I question my sanity and wonder how something I could have wanted so much could be so difficult.  It's sobering to accept that everything isn't entirely about me anymore.  I have a (sometimes overwhelming) responsibility for the survival and well-being of another human being who is completely dependent upon me. 

Parenting is humbling and while being humbled is an uncomfortable experience, it's one I believe I will continue to learn from for the rest of my life.  A simple interaction with one of my kids can open an emotional wound from childhood, magnify an insecurity I never realized I had or leave me in awe of the incredible life I have.  My children cause me reflect on my upbringing, my family and our future and who I am as a wife, mother, daughter and friend with a new perspective.  I'm continuously evaluating myself against the parent I want to be and the role model I am for my children.  I thought I had learned about life.  I thought that traveling, being an exchange student, enduring break-ups and coping the death of my mother  had taught me about myself, about humanity.  And then I became a parent. 

Becoming a parent helped me know my own parents in a way I would have otherwise never fully understood or appreciated.  I know why they had the rules they had, why they pushed us, why they made mistakes.  I know how proud I made them and how batty I also drove them sometimes.  Only now do I know how much they love/d me. 

Having children has affected my understanding of family. After leaving my childhood home and living on my own as an adult, I never imagined that I'd experience that sense of family again. Yet coming home to Chris, Soren and Oliver is where I feel happiest, safest and most comfortable. My kids give me that much more to live for and I want to do the best for myself and for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment