Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cute onesies

A friend was expecting a baby and somewhere in the talk about what preparations they'd made so far for the baby's arrival, such as setting up the nursery and buying clothes, he made a comment about how silly he thought onesies with sayings printed on the front were. 

"But that's one of the best parts about babies!" I cried.  "You can dress them in whatever kind of cutesie clothes you want."

He wasn't buying it.  But I think there are a lot of parents-to-be who aren't into "cutesy" but suddenly melt the first time they dress their baby in an "I love my Mommy" or "I love my Daddy" onesie.  I never thought I'd be into dressing my kids in cute clothes since I'm not into fashion and don't like clothes shopping.  And when you have boys, no one ever says how cute or fun boys clothes are.  But surpringly I'm into the clothes and I like shopping for my kids.  And I quickly became a sucker for onesies with cute sayings on them. 

I loved dressing both boys in the "I'm the boss (when Mommy's not around)" onesie, particularly when Chris was going to be taking care of them by himself.  Given that Chris is not into the clothes, he probably never even noticed what was printed on the front.  So he probably also never noticed me dress them in the "Handsome like Daddy" onesie.  I always liked that one, because I thought it was true!

When Oliver was still a newborn and I was struggling with sleep deprivation from rocking a fussy baby at all hours of the night, my friend's daughter's "All I want for Christmas is a Silent Night" onesie gave me a good laugh.  I dreamed about a silent night for the rest of December when a few days after Christmas, Oliver started sleeping through the night.

For Oliver's first birthday party, we dressed him in his "Still living at home" onesie. 

The "Party tonight, my crib, 3:00 a.m. (BYOB)" onesie has always been one of my favorites.  Sometimes you stumble into your kid's room at 3:00 a.m., because you heard him carrying on and when he sees you, he squeals as if he's ready to party.  And then at the playdate you schedule for him so he can hang out with his baby friends at a more reasonable hour, he whines and cries because he wants a nap.   Really, maybe I should have scheduled the playdate for 3:00 a.m. 

Then there's the "Grandma's Princess" onesie.  Normally I hate anything pink and princess, but I gotta love this one since my mother-in-law bought it when I was pregnant with Oliver because she was really hoping for a girl.  And yes, both boys have worn it. 

But then one day Oliver came back from an overnight visit with his grandparents wearing a new t-shirt that read, "My Grandparents don't spoil me.  They're just very accommodating."  Point taken.   
But my favorite onesie of all time was sent to me by one of my college roommates right after Oliver was born.  It read, "Mommy's Little Feminist."  She clearly knows me well. I dressed Oliver in that size six months onesie for as long as I could and would buy the same one in larger sizes if I could.

Oliver has long since grown out of onesies, but at least toddlers are still young enough to not be embarrassed about wearing t-shirts that say "Mommy's Little Valentine" or "My dad rocks."  And now that I have two boys, I've discovered something else I never thought I'd be into, the matching outfits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment