Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Monday, October 17, 2011

Soren's first visit to the doctor

We took Soren to his newborn wellness checkup today. He's grown a half an inch since birth to 20 1/2 inches (75th percentile) and weighs 7 pounds, 10 ounces (45th percentile), just two ounces shy of his birth weight six days after his birth. 

At our pediatrician's office, after the nurse weighs and measures your baby, she writes the stats on a pre-printed sheet with developmental milestones and other information for your child's age group.  When I read through the newborn information sheet, I had a flashback to a conversation with my grandmother when Oliver was about five or six weeks old.  She asked how he was doing and I commented with surprise that he doesn't really do much.  She still has a good laugh with that one. 

When I read through Soren's sheet, was told that my baby can:
  • Look at me. 
  • Squeeze my finger
  • Startle at the sound of a loud noise
  • Suck on a nipple
And there it is, newborns don't really do much.  (Even if you add cry, poop and sleep in short increments to the list.) At least I have realistic expectations the second time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment