Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Friday, November 11, 2011

Saying a prayer at 2:00 a.m.

A long time ago I heard the quote, "There are no atheists in a foxhole." As someone who's not particularly religious, but can't comfortably say I'm an atheist, I agree with this quote. When there's no other hope, why not try a prayer?

I think about this quote when I'm up with Soren at night and am desperate for him to go to sleep, and I've decided that there may not be atheists at two o'clock in the morning among parents of crying babies. Even I, who questions whether there's really a higher power, find myself praying at odd hours in the morning. So after I've nursed, rocked, swaddled, shushed, pleaded and cried, maybe a prayer is the only thing that will work. Can my child please, please just go to sleep, I ask, so I can get some sleep myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment