Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Sunday, July 24, 2011

3-hour glucose test

Rob Lowe is lit-er-ly amazing. (Parks and Rec reference there, for those who don't watch the show.) The first of the three hours of sitting in my OB's office couldn't have gone by any slower, but once I settled into Lowe's autobiography, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, I managed to forget about hunger, thirst and boredom. The friend who lent me the book had told me, "Even if you don't feel like reading, just stare at his picture on the back cover." I turned the book over. It was indeed a flattering picture.

The good news is that I passed the test. The tough part is that my doctor recommended I not gain much more weight. She's not worried that I'll have a huge baby, like the concern would be for a patient with gestational diabetes, but the fact is, the more the weight gain, the bigger the baby.

Sigh...easier said than done. I still feel traumatized from the experience of eight weeks of nausea and my survival instinct now equates hunger with nausea. That combined with the fact that I spend my days in close proximity to the pantry with a toddler who eats all the time, makes the obstacles of maintaining a healthy diet different than those I dealt with when I was pregnant with Oliver. I'm trying not to let myself be overwhelmed and am instead focusing on what I can manage.

4 comments:

  1. I know your doctor is a doctor and all, but gaining a lot of weight doesn't necessarily mean a huge baby... I gained tons of weight with Owen. So much that I don't even know how much it was, over 50 pounds for sure (that I am still carrying...) and he was an average 7 1/2 pound baby, one week "late." So while yeah, you should eat healthy and all that (I'm trying not to gain much this pregnancy) I wouldn't be overly worried that you are creating some sort of huge monster baby or anything. ;) good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Alison. Weight is a touchy subject for me and pregnancy exacerbates those feelings. And then given how my delivery went with Oliver, I feel like having a "huge" baby will reduce my chances of a successful VBAC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I know what you mean! I think part of the reason I gained so much weight last time was just so I wouldn't have to worry about it--I never looked at the scale in the doctor's office so I had no idea how much I had weighed. It was a lot less stressful. now I weigh myself at least once a week and am trying not to gain too much (well, not trying very hard though)... But I and everyone else was sure I was going to have a huge baby with Owen. But I didn't--all the fat went to me, not the baby. (sigh)
    As for the VBAC, I can see how that would stress you out, I would probably feel the same way. Just do your best, you can't do anything more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Alison - I don't get why some doctors put SO much emphasis on the weight gain issue. I understand that we need to be healthy while we're pregnant, but it's tough to do that 24/7 when you're body wants certain foods and you feel like you need to eat. My doctor never said a word when I was pregnant with Allie and if anything, he should've been more nervous because I gained less than 20 lbs. He just asked if I was eating and I was and checked that the baby was growing. And, I still had a 6 1/2 pound baby, so it's not like she was tiny by any means. I don't think there is a direct correlation between weight gain and baby size, so I'd try not to let the doctor's comments get to you - just eat healthy like you've been doing and you'll be fine :) Good luck - so happy you passed the three hour test!

    ReplyDelete