Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Friday, February 12, 2016

Family Day Anniversary

Thank you for taking a trip down memory lane with me these past two weeks. With "Gotcha Day" and adoption finalization for two children, (four days total right there) the much-awaited consulate appointment and the day we arrived home, there have been a lot of first anniversaries in this short time. Today marks the final anniversary in this string of anniversaries, as February 12 is the day we arrived home from China with Kiera and Matteo. For us, this day is Family Day. When we walked through those doors into baggage claim at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport holding Kiera's and Matteo's hands, Oliver and Soren literally threw themselves into our arms, and we were united for the first time as a family of six. 

Anniversaries are an opportunity to reflect, and I've done a lot of that recently. Adopting Kiera and Matteo is an experience I often have trouble putting into words.  So I watch the videos, look at pictures and read old blog posts and let the memories come back to me. Some bring a smile to my face and others make me want to cry happy tears. Amid the gratitude that I get to call these two my children, these anniversaries have also stirred up feelings of anxiety and being overwhelmed, as they're a reminder of not only how far we've come as a family in one year, but how much work is still ahead of us.     

A look back...
Our Journey to Kiera and Matteo
Welcome Home Kiera and Matteo


No comments:

Post a Comment