Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Friday, November 6, 2015

First Parent/Teacher Conference

Chris and I loved school when we were growing up, so we're  unashamed to admit that we were giddy with excitement about attending our first parent/teacher conference.  For really the first time in Oliver's life, we have no idea what happens between 8:15 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. We know what the Oliver at home is like, but what kind of kid is Oliver at school?

We seated ourselves across from Oliver's kindergarten teacher at the kid-sized tables and listened to her describe our little boy as kind, helpful, smart and mature.  She described how he lends a helping hand to his classmates who are struggling and how well he relates with adults.  He doesn't particularly have a buddy he latches onto because he gets along with everyone in the class.  She complimented his artwork and assured us that he is on track academically.  And if that weren't enough, she told us we must be doing something right at home and told us to keep up the good work.  Chris and I glanced at each other and I couldn't contain my laughter.  If only I had a better poker face, I could have let Oliver's teacher believe what she sees at school is what we see at home.  

We also had the opportunity to meet with Oliver's visual arts teacher and performing arts teacher. After they described what they're working on with the students this year, I joked that I could probably benefit from their classes.  It's impressive the curriculum they're undertaking with five- and six-year-olds, and as someone with very little background in art and music, I'm thankful visual and performing arts are part of the curriculum. 

I left the conferences feeling incredibly proud of Oliver, but also reassured that Chris and I are going to make it through kindergarten too.

No comments:

Post a Comment