Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Happy 3rd Birthday to Our "Kiera Dear"

There was a time when I was afraid that we wouldn't make it to China in time for Kiera's third birthday.  We first laid eyes on her last May and I thought for sure we'd meet her in the fall.  When it was clear that fall travel was no longer a possibility, I set my hopes on having her home for Thanksgiving, then Christmas.  And when that wasn't going to happen, I realized the next special date on the calendar was her birthday. 

We made it home with a month to spare and got to celebrate the third birthday of our little "Kiera Dear," as her father has affectionately nicknamed her.  We chose to keep the party small and celebrate with immediate family at her Grandma and Grandpa's house where Kiera and her brothers played with all the outdoor toys Grandma diligently picks up at garage sales and second-hand stores.  There was even a new Radio Flyer wagon to bring home, a present from Grandma and Grandpa. 

After a dinner of pizza and salad, we sang Happy Birthday to Kiera, who wore the birthday crown Oliver had made for her as she waited to blow out three candles in the shape of a football.  (The only candles I could find.  Poor third child!) She looked both perplexed and amused by the attention as we sang and did not no what to do at the end of the song, so her dad blew out her candles for her. 

With the help of her brothers, Kiera opened a couple of gifts after we finished our cake.  She's the only kid of mine to get excited about receiving clothes and she loved trying on her new sunglasses.  Because here's the hilarious part.  I, the non-girlie-girl, not only got a girl when I was expecting all boys, but got what just might be a girlie-girl.  She loves her dolls and always wants a pretty hair clip in her hair.  She's best described as dainty, with her petite features and cautious approach. 

Kiera is tougher than she looks though.  If one of her brothers take a toy from her, she's not timid about yanking it back from him.  She's slow and steady climbing the playground equipment, but she's not afraid to get up there.  I've seen her only become bolder in the month since she's gotten home.  When we were in China, she had to be coaxed down the slide, but that's no more.  We had her evaluated by our school district's special education team and the district has an indoor playground with a ball pit.  The therapists were amazed that a child her age climbed in without hesitation.  Just like with a body of water, kids get nervous because they can't see the bottom.  

The therapists were so impressed by how well Kiera is doing and think she is developmentally on target in every area, except of course speech.  We hope that ear tubes, scheduled near the end of the month, is all she needs to restore her hearing and hopefully jump start her language.  Even with reduced hearing, we have noticed that very recently she's starting to mimic words we say.  She even yelled out "Dog!" unprompted at the park when she saw a dog. 

Even though she doesn't speak much, we know Kiera understands quite a bit.  As long as there's context to what I'm asking her to do, she follows directions quite well.  And she's starting to answer questions by nodding her head yes or no.  I'm amazed by how well she (and Matteo) communicate non-verbally.  Their cues are so subtle though that it's sometimes like a puzzle.  I was outside our bedroom one day when Kiera pointed inside our bedroom.  I asked if she had something to show me and I reached for her hand.  She let me lead her into the bedroom.  She pointed excitedly at the bed and I remembered how Chris was throwing the kids on the bed the night before.  They thought it was great fun. I was so excited I figured out what she was trying to tell her, so without delay, I picked her up and threw her (gently) on the bed and she shrieked with glee.  

No comments:

Post a Comment