Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

I Hope You Never Forget You Are Loved

My co-workers threw an adoption shower for Chris and me and I was taken aback by their generosity and care for Kiera and Matteo.  They want to see them home just as much as we do.  I feel fortunate that we've been surrounded by so much love and support during this adoption and that I've felt I've been able to share our experience so candidly.  At the party were the people who have always had time to listen to me vent or share my worries, who have shrieked with delight at seeing Kiera's and Matteo's referral pictures for the first time and who have talked adoption with me on a very long car ride and back on a business trip. This wait has been hard and the shower was exactly what I needed, which was a fun distraction from the frustration of more paperwork, set-backs and my overall worry, as well as a reminder of how much my entire family is supported.

My co-worker Laura made this ridiculously cute panda bear cake.

We spent the evening enjoying good food, strong cocktails and of course that delicious panda bear cake.  I caught up with co-workers and then Chris and I opened gifts, which ranged from children's books of Chinese folk tales to hand-me-downs for Kiera from a friend who knows we have zero girls clothes.  No shower would be a shower without a silly game, where we had to identify the language "baby" was written in.  Chris got them all right!  I was just thankful I got 宝宝 correct, which is, you guessed it, baby in Chinese.

For the final activity, our host handed out sheets of paper titled "Wishes for Baby".  On it we had to finish sentences that began with "I hope you love....", "I hope you laugh...." and so on. Some made us laugh out loud.  Others brought tears to my eyes. Either way, my heart was full by the time everyone's contributions were read out loud.

Here's a sampling:
I hope that you love your new family.
I hope you aren't afraid of dogs.
I hope you love Minnesota winters.
I hope you get a room of your own someday.
I hope you laugh until your belly aches.
I hope you never forget China.
I hope you ignore insensitive people.
I hope you become strong and secure.
I hope you respect yourself.
I hope you grow up to be a leader.
The line that summed up all our wishes for Kiera and Matt was simply, "I hope you never forget you are loved."

No comments:

Post a Comment