Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween!

I've always liked Halloween even though I don't like dressing up.  But I do like chocolate, fall, apples, carving pumpkins and everything else associated with the holiday.  And now that I have children, I've let go of the pressure to feel like I have to dress up or go to Halloween parties and instead use my kids as an excuse to let it be "their holiday."  It was extra fun this year now that we have an au pair and can share this quintessentially American holiday and all its traditions with him. 

Soren chose to be a fire fighter and I was thrilled that a co-worker happened to have costume from the previous year.  It fit him perfectly!

Oliver wanted to be a vampire, but after going back and forth about whether he wanted face make-up and to do his hair, it proved to be too much for him.  He admitted he wanted to be a "good-looking" vampire, so that's what he was! 

I wasn't sure whether Marcel was going to dress up or not, but I think he got some pressure from the other au pairs.  A couple of them went to Target earlier this week and he found this Superman costume on the clearance rack.  Since it was so cold, he liked the costume because he could fit his normal clothes underneath the costume to keep warm.  I told him that with Superman, the order of clothing is actually the other way around.

Whether he was into dressing up or not, I think Marcel got a kick out of trick-or-treating.  He loved seeing everyone in their costumes and walking around the neighborhood and seeing how some people go all out with decorating.  We came to one house, which had what looked like a haunted house set up in their backyard.  Oliver was too terrified to even go near the house, but I insisted Marcel had to go in, you know, in the name of cultural experience.  I think he was actually pretty nervous. 

He emerged unscathed.  In reality this haunted house served up no tricks, just treats.  The homeowners were handing out their candy inside, which lead to a humorous moment when Marcel received his candy and the homeowner looked at him and said, "You're a little big for trick-or-treating."

After that house, we headed back home where everyone gorged on candy and watched Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin.  Then the kids, overstimulated from sugar and the excitement of the evening, melted down and needed to go to bed.  And our kid who's too big for trick-or-treating, headed out with friends to find some adult Halloween parties and enjoy this American holiday with people his own age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment