Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Toddlermoon

Five years ago at this time of year we were on our honeymoon in the Canadian Rockies.  It was this trip that we found out we were expecting Oliver.  I remember feeling euphoric at the idea that we were going to be parents.  I couldn't believe it was actually going to happen. Five years later in the Sierra Nevadas, I was a different kind of pregnant.  But I still felt the excitement, hope and anticipation and I still couldn't believe we were going to be parents a third time around, this time through adoption. 

Lake Tahoe ended up being our destination for what I affectionately referred to as our "toddlermoon."  A trip away for expecting parents has been coined a "babymoon," but since Oliver is quick to point out that he's not getting a baby brother or sister, but rather a toddler brother or sister, I thought "toddlermoon" was more appropriate. 

The trip really was a chance for Chris and me to spend quality time with each other and recharge.  With the perspective gained after nearly five years of parenting, I appreciated this trip much more than our original honeymoon-turned-babymoon.  With Oliver and Soren being well taken care of back home with Grandma and Grandpa, (the two who made this trip even feasible) we had no one to worry about except ourselves.  We skied hard, saw as much of the region as we could, ate at nice restaurants and lounged around in the evening watching the Olympics. 


Highlights of our toddlermoon include skiing at what felt like the top of the Sierra Nevadas with Lake Tahoe deep down in the valley below us, knocking another state off my quest to see every state in the country, receiving a kiss from an avalanche dog, and having uninterrupted conversations with Chris.

The views were unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment