Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Mice to Meet You!


My nanny has learned the harsh truth about Pinterest.  It's full of wonderful ideas that somehow make you feel inadequate, especially if you don't own a glue gun.  What happens is that you scroll through page after page of beautiful pictures of craft projects and think, "Oh what a cool idea.  I can do that!"  And then you try the craft and it turns out a lot harder than you think it was going to be and doesn't look anything like the one the semi-professional blogger took with her professional-level camera.  And if you don't own a glue gun, your chance at success plummets. 
 
I still love Pinterest, though, because if you can evaluate what would actually be a feasible project - and not fall into the trap of believing that to be a good mom/wife/woman you have to be decorate your house, design your kids' bedrooms, decorate your kids' birthday cakes and make handmade Valentine's like you see in the pictures - the site is a trove of ideas for the non-creative types like me. 
 
And speaking of those handmade Valentines, I came home early this week to my dining room covered in little red hearts and scraps of yellow paper, kids high on sugar from eating the chocolate instead of gluing them into shape of mice, and a frazzled nanny who had realized that this particular Valentines-making project wasn't one little kids could actually help much with, so she was left to finish the cards herself. 
 
The end result?  Still pretty darn good!
 
Mice to meet you!
And yet again our nanny took one for the team.  I had wanted to be that artsy, creative stay-at-home mom, but the reality was that stuff just didn't come naturally to me.  And now that I work outside the home, I don't have time for planning crafts and trips to Michael's.  So when Oliver showed up at preschool with adorable "Mice to meet you" Valentines, I'm happy to give the nanny all the credit. 

1 comment:

  1. Stevie loves Pinterest. So much that we're not spending any money on flowers for the wedding, because she's making them all from pages of 1 cent copies of Alice in Wonderland. I tried making one today and it was, shall we say, beyond my capabilities. But Stevie is an absolute pro at crafting. I like Pinterest myself, not for the crafts but for pizza ideas.

    ReplyDelete