Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Monday, October 18, 2010

Our Loss

Chris and I had been looking forward to finally announcing the news that I'm pregnant, but sadly, I suffered a miscarriage. Although it occurred rather early in my pregnancy, it still has been heart-breaking. In the relatively short amount of time we had since learning I was pregnant, we had begun to imagine a future with a second child, full of limitless hopes and dreams. I know with time we will move on, but in the mean time, I (particularly) struggle with disappointment over what could have been and the fear of this happening again. I'm emotionally exhausted and tired, but am otherwise physically fine.

We're not looking for explanations about why I miscarried or theories on a greater meaning, but simply support as we move on. Although it's sad to lose a pregnancy, I don't want this to be something that should stay a secret or be talked about in a hush-hush manner. The experience is extremely personal, yet I don't feel secrecy helps my healing process or others who've had a miscarriage.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss Kirsten. There aren't really words to say except that you aren't alone. Take care of yourself, and get some rest... I'm thinking of you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My moms group friends, especially, have been so supportive. Thanks Katrina and everyone else who have e-mailed and called. It means so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kirsten and Chris- I am so sorry to hear this. You are a strong woman, an excellent mother and I'm sure a super wife! Keep your chin up, we are grieving for your family. Get lots of rest, take "me" time and know we are all surrounding you with loving support. <3 Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kirsten, I'm so so sorry for your loss. I had three m/c's before I had Eliza and I know how hard it is -- it is an ambiguous type of loss in many ways, and yet, so defined in others; it is so painful. And it's something that is hard to explain to those who are not going through it. But you're right, it is something that should not be hush-hush. It is important to talk about it, consider what could have been, and how to go on from here. I found blogging to be greatly therapeutic. I hope you are doing okay. Feel free to email me if you need anything.

    (I found your blog through the meetup board, hope that's okay!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirsten, I am so sorry to hear this. I can imagine how difficult this must be for you and your family. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete