Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Thursday, April 23, 2009

What can the baby hear?

Every Wednesday I reach a mini milestone in my pregnancy by beginning a new week - I'm now 15 weeks into a supposedly 39-week pregnancy. At the beginning of each week Chris logs into a website called Baby Center and likes to read to me the baby's developments for that week. For those who are curious, the baby is already four inches long from "crown to rump," is the size of an apple, and can sense light. The entry always concludes with a suggested activity like signing up for a prenatal class (check), budgeting for the new baby (check) and talking to the baby to help the bonding process...

I'm a talker, but I don't see myself as the type to walk around talking to the baby or one who attaches headphones to my stomach in the hopes the baby will develop a taste for classical music. Chris, on the other hand, immediately tried taking advantage of the opportunity to influence the baby by talking to my stomach. I assume all the baby can hear are garbled sounds in a language it doesn't understand yet, because otherwise, it would have heard things like "Grow a wiener," "Your mom said if you're a girl you can't wear pink, but if you're a boy you can," and "You are now a Vikings fan. You can never like the Packers." He was kidding of course...except for the last bit. Although I assumed it's a given that the baby will be a Vikings fan, Chris pointed out that with all the talk on Sports Center about the draft, the baby could be forming its own ideas about which football team to support. If that's really the case, I'll gladly leave the room when anything football related is on TV.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot risk the chance that the baby will come out as a Packers fan. I am going to continue to telling the baby how great the Vikings are and how great their pick will be in this year's draft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully s/he will be a fan of Bayern, HSV, Freiburg and of course Hansa Rostock before worrying about American football. And also the Phillies and Flyers.

    ReplyDelete