Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Monday, August 24, 2015

Our Au Pair, a Fellow Blogger

Our new au pair, Celina, started a blog so she could share her year in the U.S. with her friends family and boyfriend back home.  I was super excited and immediately asked if I could read it, you know, as a fellow blogger.  As soon as the words left my mouth though, it occurred to me that she perhaps wouldn't want her host mother reading her blog.  It's hard enough to live with your employer and perhaps she'd want some semblance of separation between us and her private life.  And then I panicked when I wondered what she'd have to say about our family.  I know we're not perfect, but to read about our imperfectness is another thing. 

However, when Celina shared the web address with me, curiosity got the best of me and I immediately started to read.  And I loved it!  Of course I was relieved (and flattered) that she had nice things to say about her experience living with our family, but what I most appreciated was reading about her perspective on things, like what she finds cool and interesting and what she thinks of all her new experiences in our city and our country overall.  I like hearing her side of the story of shared experiences, such as when I had her drive the minivan for the first time.  I could tell she was nervous, but she did great.  Not until I read her blog did I understand just how nervous she was!  After I read her account of the differences in driving laws and customs between the U.S. and Germany and how she affectionately referred to our minivan as "the boat", I had a greater appreciation for her driving skills. 

I also enjoy Celina's blog because it's in German and it's a fun way for me to practice the language.  Although I'm quite rusty speaking German, I was surprised by how few words I needed to look up and how effortlessly I read through her posts.  If you also know German or don't mind using an online translator, you can check out her blog as well:  ceeelina.wix.com/12months

I hope Celina continues to blog even as her time in Minnesota gets busier and she has less time to write and even after the newness wears off and she doesn't think she has anything cool to write about anymore.  I know her words are precious to everyone reading back home and that she will appreciate having written down her thoughts during this life-changing year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment