Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Gendered Toys

The only type of toys that annoy me more than those that beep, light up or incessantly play music over and over and over again or the toys that have been "genderfied."  Toy makers "genderfy" toys you would never think of as associated with one gender or another by splashing them in pink or pastel colors. 

Legos ignited a backlash two Christmases ago when it released a new line of Legos designed for girls.  For a toy I loved playing with as a kid, this new version is unrecognizable to me.  Where are the blocks?

Lego “For Girls” “Friends” Ad, 2013
legos-friends1

The perplexing issue for me is that Legos were already designed for girls.  The ad below, from my era, are the blocks I remember. 


Lego “For Girls” Ad, circa 1981
lego_ad_1981


Sadly, what a contrast with today's ad.  The 1981 ad highlights using creativity.  The girl is just a kid and isn't dolled up, over-sexualized or sporting a mini skirt.  Meanwhile, Legos managed to feature a girl to sell their product without a speck of pink or lavender in the entire ad. 

Another image went viral on Facebook recently.  I wish toy marketers could follow this simple advice. 

boys girls toys



No comments:

Post a Comment