Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Kiera, Matteo, Oliver and Soren

Sunday, May 31, 2009

On the Air

I got to do something only probably I could get excited about - I appeared on Pregtastic! (Online radio - hosted by pregnant women for pregnant women - http://www.pregtastic.com/) If I were in San Diego where the podcast is produced, I would have weaseled my way in as a regular, but after an e-mail to the producers telling them how much I love the show, and that I unfortunately live in Minnesota and can't come to the studio, they were nice enough to invite me to participate via phone.

Being on the other end of production was surreal, but also a bit unnerving. As a phone-in participant, I obviously couldn't see anyone else, which made conversing with women, whose voices I've listened to every week, but have never met, difficult. It was also difficult to hear a lot of the conversation, with those farthest from the phone almost impossible to hear. So there were a lot of awkward moments where the podcasters waited to let me speak, except I hadn't heard my cue.

I started to relax near the end of the taping when I learned that we could rerecord. Since until yesterday I had only ever listened to the finished product, I was under the impression that they just winged it - and got it all perfect every time. I had been starting to wonder why the show wasn't appearing to be as polished as the others produced (and hoped my novicehood wasn't a contributing factor). Although I had been encouraged not to be shy, I found myself not wanting to break up the flow of the interview by trying to jump in with a question when I couldn't see if someone was about to speak, and vice versa. Then Royce, who does the production, while Patti, his wife, moderates, halted recording and asked if we could brainstorm some better questions of our guests to tease out what the Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth (that week's topic) is in a nutshell. He thought we were having a great Q&A, but were probably still leaving listeners uninformed about what the method entails. We proceeded to ask additional questions and that section, which was recorded at the end, will just be added to the beginning. I started to feel more comfortable with participating, knowing that if I were asked to clarify my question, or if there were communication problems due to my phone participation, all that could be cut out. Or so I hope....I have yet to listen to the final product. Just please take it easy on your judgment of my performance! And so as not to lead anyone one, my participation was rather minimal, and was probably reduced further during editing.

So what is the Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth? Well, from what I learned from the podcast, it's taught during a 12-week course by trained instructors who have used the method for the birth of at least one of their children. It deviates from the typical birth classes offered through hospitals, which educates you on what to expect during labor, and covers topics from nutrition and exercise while pregnant though postpartum. The classes also focus on relaxation techniques (as opposed to distraction techniques) to reduce or handle pain during labor. One aspect of the method I found unique is the role of the father (or partner), who is trained to be the woman's coach and advocate. While fathers are no longer relegated to the waiting room, I think some are left to "Just tell me what you want and I'll help" and then find themselves not sure what to do with themselves.

While I have no qualms about a medicated birth, the wannabe-hippie in me is open to being informed of all options, even if only to reaffirm my original choice. So although I know that a natural, unmedicated birth is not for me, and I would actually feel more comfortable delivering at a hospital, (home births are billed as being more relaxing, because labor isn't interrupted by a trip to the hospital and mom is on her home turf - but my ability to worry about every little thing that could go wrong would actually make the experience more stressful for me) I otherwise want the least technologically-manipulated birth possible and can envision incorporating bits and pieces of various methods or practices into my birth plan. I worry about being left out of the decisions about my own care, and although I am fine with medication and a traditional hospital setting, I embrace a far more holistic approach to childbirth to the "drug 'em up, drag 'em out" era of my mother and grandmothers'.

After we wrapped up the interview, I thanked Pattie and Royce for inviting me to participate and for producing such an informative podcast. Mentioning the name of the show to my friends elicits a shocked laughter, but I've learned more from the guests and the fellow pregnant women than I have from any book. And even though the producers and their fellow podcasters are still just anonymous voices heard over the Internet, I do feel a sense of camaraderie and I'm thankful for the wealth of knowledge and experiences they share with equally anonymous listeners.

No comments:

Post a Comment